International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP)
At Seoul Foreign Middle School, we believe the journey of learning is as important as the final destination. Inquiry and exploration are at the core of our academic program as we guide students in developing the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary for lifelong learning.
The MYP provides a challenging framework of learning that encourages students to become creative, critical, and reflective thinkers. The MYP emphasizes intellectual challenge, encouraging students to make practical connections between their studies and the real world, thus preparing them for success in further study and in life.
The IB MYP is a five-year program designed for students during a period that is particularly critical for personal and intellectual development.
Through their engagement with service and action, MYP students will continue to:
- Increase their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
- Undertake new challenges
- Plan and initiate activities
- Work collaboratively with others
- Show perseverance and commitment
- Engage with locally and globally significant challenges and consider the ethical implication of their actions
Approaches to learning, a unifying thread throughout all MYP subject groups, are skills which help students manage their own learning.
They provide a foundation for independent learning and success in further education and the world beyond the classroom.
Developing and applying these communication, social, self-management, research and thinking skills helps students learn how to learn.
These are the Approaches to Learning skills that students will develop throughout their time in the MYP.
- Communication skills
- Social: Collaboration skills
- Self-management: organization, effective and reflection skills
- Research: information literacy and media literacy skills
- Thinking: critical thinking, creative and transfer skills
At SFS, students are provided with numerous opportunities for service involvement in each year of the program, which in turn align with the MYP learning outcomes. Action becomes part of the MYP unit plans, which demonstrate appropriate opportunities, through inquiry, to participate in service as action. Students will also get the chance to engage with service and action activities, at a local and global level.
Explore SFS Middle School
More information about our school