Student Support Services
At SFS we realize that children come from different learning backgrounds and we support all parts of their learning journey. We understand that many of our students have moved around and been in very different environments prior to arriving at Seoul Foreign School.
Support services are dedicated to the development of literacy and numeracy at the pace your child will grow best. We also offer counselors, a psychologist, a speech and language therapist, and extracurricular offerings that support student balance.
For academic, social, and emotional support
Seoul Foreign School has a school psychologist who helps children and youth succeed academically, socially, and emotionally. She collaborates with educators, parents, and other professionals to create safe, healthy, and supportive learning environments for all students as well as strengthen connections between home and school.
The school psychologist works with students individually and in groups to find the best solution for each student and situation; she uses different strategies to address student needs and to improve school and school-wide support systems. The school psychologist provides the following services:
- Collaborate with teachers, parents, and administrators to find effective solutions to learning and behavior problems.
- Help others understand child development and how it affects learning and behavior.
- Strengthen working relationships between teachers, parents, and service providers in the community.
- Evaluate eligibility for special services.
- Assess academic skills and aptitude for learning.
- Determine social-emotional development and mental health status.
- Evaluate learning environments.
- Provide psychological counseling to help resolve interpersonal or family problems that interfere with school performance.
- Work directly with students and their families to help resolve problems in adjustment and learning.
- Provide training in social skills and anger management.
- Design programs for children at risk of failing at school.
- Promote tolerance, understanding, and appreciation of diversity within the school community.
- Develop programs to make schools safer and more effective learning environments.
- Collaborate with school staff and community agencies to provide services directed at improving psychological and physical health.
- Develop partnerships with parents and teachers to promote healthy school environments.
Every student is different and we try to access the individual academic and emotional needs of each student, devising a plan (formal or informal) that will support their learning.
Someone to lean on
Learning Support works to ensure all students have an equal opportunity to succeed at school. SFS has a team of learning support teachers who bring a wide variety of skills and experience to the task.
Students participate in learning support programs for a variety of time periods. Some move in and out quite quickly, and others stay for longer periods. Some students enjoy the closer attention and individual success provided by a small “breakout” group and others work best in their classroom with their cohort. Our goal is to be as unobtrusive and as inclusive as possible when delivering support.
Counseling Services at SFS
Each school section has dedicated counselors
English Language Learning
Facilitating the process
Learning a second language is a developmental process. A student’s progress depends on many different factors. A partnership between school and home is important for the success of our English language learners.
At home, maintaining and continuing to develop the first language is critical for growth in English over the long term. At school, ELL and classroom teachers work as a team to meet each student’s needs. The diverse culture and language backgrounds of ELL students enrich our school community and broaden worldviews.